where the music comes from

Here's the text to a song by Lee Hoiby I've been working on recently. It's a really beautiful song, full of joy and humility, and I think the words articulate exactly - or nearly so - my own feelings about the path I chose in my own education (never mind that everything is pretty well stalled at the moment for child-rearing!) I am always second-guessing myself, and wondering if I did the right thing studying piano when I could have gone in so many other directions. Poor Stuart, who has known me since I was a college freshman (!) has heard me time and time again question aloud if I should have gone into science or English or education or anyway, Something Different. Not that it matters now. What matters is what I am doing, which is the afore-mentioned child-rearing with a dabbling of piano whenever I can manage it. But I still want to share the text (and a youtube link) below, because I think that may explain why I keep on keepin' on.

Enjoy.

I want to be where the music comes from,
Where the clock stops, where it's now.
I want to be with the friends around me,
Who have found me, who show me how.
I want to sing to the early morning,
See the sunlight melt the snow;
And oh, I want to grow.
I want to wake to the living spirit
Here inside me where it lies.
I want to listen till I can hear it,
Let it guide me, and realize
That I can go with the flow unending,
That is blending, this is real;
And oh, I want to feel.
I want to walk in the earthly garden,
Far from cities, far from fear.
I want to talk to the growing garden,
To the devas*, to the deer,
And to be one with the river flowing,
Breezes blowing, sky above;
And oh, I want to love.

*(Devas, pronounced "day-vas", means nature spirits)


Here's a youtube link to a video with good sound but lousy visual quality of the song being sung.

Comments

Mrs. Allroro said…
That really does help me to see where you are coming from. How beautiful. I know not everyone agrees with me, but I think God designs us each for a purpose, and it seems like you were made for music. (loving it, making it, teaching it...whatever)
Pam said…
Beautiful poem! Beautiful song! Thank you for posting it.
Animal said…
I swear you & Tess are long-lost sisters. She agonizes over this very thing at least three times a year! Remember to enjoy life, no matter what you're doing. At the end, there was only one, so live it to its fullest, and don't worry the little s**t.

:-)
bachbest said…
yeah, this is It for me, really where I'm coming from. Both my dear wife and I so resonate with both this text and this music. I've already requested this for me Celebration Concert (instead of a funeral :(!) :):)
Ray in LA

Popular Posts