Wednesday, January 02, 2013

hypocrite

Because I think New Year's resolutions are kind of stupid, I'm a hypocrite for even posting this, but it seems fun, so what the hey. In any case, it seems like a fun sort of Q&A. I'm totally swiping this from the DALS blog (btw, I read the book a few months ago and it's fun, plus the chicken pot pie recipe is to die for, and this is coming from a gal who isn't big on meat-and-potatoes comfort food!)

What I resolve to do more of in 2013: run, swim, bike, perform (not necessarily in that order)

What I resolve to do less of in 2013: waste time online (not getting a good start here...), mope

What I resolve not to say to my spouse: "How do you feel about getting your dirty socks in the hamper instead of beside it?"

What I resolve not to say to my children: "You guys are driving me bonkers."

What I resolve to eat less of: sugar

What I resolve to eat more of: interesting grains, the sort that vegans love (bulgar, quinoa, amaranth, that sort of thing), though I have no intention of going vegan (ew)

What I resolve to learn how to cook: at least one good vegetarian curry. Well, I do a pretty mean saag paneer but it calls for so much cream that I need to learn some other  curry that doesn't make my heart hurt.

What non-required reading I resolve to attend to: seeing as I finished grad school long ago, none of the reading I do is required, but I plan to start with Anna Karenina, One Thousand White Women and Flight Behavior (signed by the author - booyah!) and more of the NYTimes

What I resolve to convince my spouse to read: There's just no point because we almost never read the same things. He's into Russian novels and heavy philosophical essays by the likes of Christopher Hitchens, and I'm...not.

Restaurant I want to try: any! We almost never go out to eat. I've been jonesing for some good authentic south Asian food lately, though.

Restaurant I want to return to: See above.

I resolve to finally try: yoga (again) and learning Spanish. These are two things I've wanted to do my entire adult life and have never gotten around to it. Is is too late  for me?

I resolve to teach my kids: to read, to knit, to cook, to sing, to appreciate nature, and to make a peanut butter sandwich unassisted

I resolve to spend less money on: landscaping. Between the new retaining wall we had built by the driveway and the dead tree removal (including one requiring an emergency middle-of-the-night chainsaw crew), the budget took a big hit in 2012.

I resolve to get Zen about: laundry breeding in the hamper, and germs

What I resolve to accomplish professionally: sigh. I don't know. I should make a plan, though, instead of just griping about the fact that having two young kids makes pursuing my professional life in any meaningful way essentially impossible.


Anyone else want to join the fun?

2 comments:

Pam said...

Hi Susan! I am so glad I have finally read your blog after months of neglect. I love the new pic you have up of your kids. And, I enjoyed your post. I think I am going to try to blog more regularly now in lieu of wasting my time on Facebook. Happy New Year!

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.