end of summer

It's not really the end of summer, but it's starting to feel like it.

                               


Swimming lessons wrapped up last week, which was bittersweet. I loved the swimming lesson routine; it gave us something to do every morning, the kids had a great time and learned a lot, and I got a good 20-25 minutes of lap swimming in while they are in their lessons. Just that little bit of exercise really helped me be a nicer person for the rest of the day.

                                           



We also had a visit from my cousin Steph last week. She lives in Kansas, so we don't get to see her nearly enough, and we made the most of our time with her here - eating good food, running races in the park with the kids (her idea, not mine, and by the way Daniel is fast...I wish they had track and field for 7yos), and just hanging out.

But Steph had to go home, of course, swimming lessons are done, the weather has remained bizarrely cool, even chilly at times (I think the high on Saturday was something like 63), our beach trip to see Stuart's family in June seems like ancient history, and it just feels like summer is hurtling toward the finish line before we're quite ready. We have all kinds of fun to squeeze in before it's too late.

Yesterday, we went to see the butterflies at Olbrich:

                                     


Today we went to the Cave of the Mounds, which was very exciting for all of us. I haven't been on a cave tour in years, and it was the first time for Daniel and Anya. (They got free tickets for both of those things as prizes from the library summer reading program. Score!) Next week I'm taking them to Kentucky for a week, and we may stop at the Indianapolis Children's Museum on our way down.

Don't get me wrong. In some ways, I am looking forward to school starting. I have spent nearly every waking minute with my children, and while they are delightful in many ways, their relentless requests to play-a-game-with-me and read-to-me and can-we-go-bowling-please-please-please-why-nooooot? are frankly exhausting. Also, I have had very, very little time to myself and essentially zero opportunities to do anything meaningful on the professional front. I should be putting together a professional website and lining up gigs  for this coming school year, but I haven't done anything along those lines. I feel guilty for being lazy and having such lackluster ambition.

Soon enough, though, the weather will cool off for good, the pool will close, I will have to buy approximately 1,583 Ticonderoga pencils and a pair of sneakers for Daniel (whose only shoes that fit properly at the moment are flip-flops), and I will find myself in an empty house packing summer shorts in the hand-me-down bag with an ache in my chest, wondering where the time went after all.




Comments

Popular Posts