May funk

My get up and go, as they say, got up and went.

I've been so tired lately. I don't think there is anything wrong with me, medically speaking, but I have a lot of demands on my time and emotional energy and it's draining me. We have some big events coming up this summer - a 10-day trip abroad when school is out in less than three weeks, and a major renovation project beginning around the same time.  The semester is over at UW and my teaching job wrapped up around the same time, so I'm relieved of those responsibilities for the time being, but the last couple weeks I've also been coordinating some outdoor/garden projects at the kids' school, which is extremely time-consuming. Also, my parents came to visit over the long weekend, and it was lovely, but having guests takes extra cleaning and food prep and all that.

None of these things is bad, mind you. It's just that I don't have a lot of fuel left in the metaphorical tank. I could use a week or even just a few days to rest up and recharge. I want to hole up by myself and read a whole book and knit a pair of socks and go trail running and not wash any dishes or do any laundry. Instead I'm arranging garden planting with 450 elementary kids, planning summer break with my own kids so we don't get bored and cranky and sick of each other, and wondering at what point will I have to remove e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. from my old rusty kitchen cabinets before they are demolished.

Believe it or not, we had Tuesday Night Fun Cooking! this week. It was on Monday and it was with my mom, who made a batch of banana bread with the kids. They were delightful and I got a few pictures to post on IG, but the photo app is still screwy about accessing pictures from my phone and the thought of dealing with that right now just to write up a blog post only five people will read is far too exhausting to contemplate right now.

Maybe tomorrow.

I may not get a chance to recharge, but I can at least try and get a good night's sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts