"prehistoric"

We're down to the last week of school before the kids are out for the summer, which means that most of the teachers and all of the students already gave up on anything resembling academic work a while back and it's all about pizza parties and celebrations and trying to stave off the anxiety of starting middle school in a few short months.

Several of Daniel's friends were in a leadership group (he was not, for some reason), and he told me that these kids had an end-of-year celebration that involved not the fun field day they thought they were promised, but instead a pizza party and a viewing of some lame movie. I told him that when I was in fifth grade, we sometimes got to watch film strips and that it was a real treat. I distinctly remember watching a film strip of A Wrinkle in Time in 5th grade, and that my friend Christie had to sit out in the hallway because her family was religious and thought the book included witchcraft and was therefore inappropriate. (Madeline L'Engle was a devout Catholic, so I'm not sure what went wrong for them there...)

If you want to feel old, try explaining what a film strip is to an 11yo in the year 2017. I told him how my teacher had to set up a projector and change the picture every time the cassette tape beeped. Then I had to explain what a cassette tape was because he's too young to have seen one. Kids his age are too young to have used CDs, even. 

Anyway, Daniel thought my description of a film strip was hysterical. "It's...what's that word, mom? Antique?" No, not antique, not that old, I said. Vintage, maybe. Or old school. "Prehistoric. That's what I meant. Prehistoric." 

Sigh. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah, yu are not old enough to remember pre-cassette times, when th sound was on a piece if vinyl that spun at about 78 rpm. -Opa

Popular Posts