winter weary

"The groundhog lied," I heard yesterday morning as I waited with Anya in the elementary school office for her kindergarten screening.* Truer words were never spoken. I know, I know, up here in Wisconsin we should just come to expect the lingering winter weather, but it's damn annoying to be shoveling 4" of new fallen snow and bundling up for below zero wind-chills just days before the schools close for spring break.

I keep telling myself that the spring thaw must be imminent - it has to be! - but so far we're not feeling it. The weather forecast for the next week or so isn't particularly encouraging, either, with predicted highs merely in the mid-thirties for the foreseeable future.

I have to admit it's getting to me. Having my whole family (except me) taking turns getting sick for three straight weeks didn't help, mind you. If it weren't for daylight savings time delaying sunset to 7pm, it just feels like someone rolled the calendar back to January for a do-over, and I don't like it!

Ah, well. I chose to live here, didn't I? And it's certainly a relief that everyone is healthy again, for the most part (Daniel's ear infection issues continue to plague him, but he's well enough to go to school at least).

I just can't help but feel impatient to open the windows and air out the house (which smells like farts and dirty laundry) and put the snow pants in storage and hang the clothes outside and dig in the dirt and watch the crocuses pop out of the melting snow. It is time.

*Can you believe it?! My baby is starting kindergarten in six months!

Comments

Claire said…
I totally feel the same way. I will say, though, that it is relieving to know that the slower it warms up, the better it will be for the drought. If it all the sudden gets to 60, the ground is still too hard from the drought and the freeze for the snow to do any good (I heard this from a guy on wpr the other day).

But, still. This is the hardest part of the year for me. We're really ready for open windows and everything else to change, too.

On a happier note, YAY for Anya!!!

Popular Posts