daydream

The other day in the car I started to tell Daniel something, and he interrupted me: "Be quiet, mom. I'm in the middle of a daydream!"So I let him be. Sometimes in the morning I can see that he has woken up early but occasionally I have to coax him out of bed by 7:00 to eat breakfast with the rest of us because he likes to spend that time alone in his daydreams.

Daydreaming. It's a lovely way to pass the time, isn't it? Daniel will tell me about his daydreams from time to time. They usually involve him being more or less omnipotent and possessing a wide range of superpowers. I suspect this is not at all unusual for a 7-year-old boy. I remember when I was his age I would daydream over and over that I was riding horses (yes, I was one of those little girls obsessed with horses, and growing up in Kentucky only intensified it) or that I could fly.

Freedom, that's what daydreaming is all about. I often catch myself imagining that I am stronger and faster than I actually am, that I could run all day without stopping or move boulders with my bare hands. Can you imagine that kind of physical freedom?

Or sometimes when I'm in the middle of some mundane chore - which is often - like folding laundry or sorting the pile of shoes by the back door (seriously, where did they all come from? it's not like we even own that many shoes!) or picking up the junk from the living room floor at the end of the day, I find myself imagining that after college I had gone to Europe or New York or Brazil to stretch my soul and have some adventure instead of coming here for grad school and settling down right away.

When I'm pulling weeds in the garden - an activity I do actually enjoy, believe it or not, in part because my mind is allowed to wander while I take on an utterly necessary task - I daydream that our backyard has an apple orchard, a treehouse and a chicken coop instead of a bunch of weeds and a thousand bunnies.

What do you daydream about?

Comments

Popular Posts