recall rally

Saturday was the big rally in downtown Madison to kick-off the recall effort. I spent most of the day volunteering as a petition circulator, and since I had to be on my feet outside the whole time, I packed light and dressed warm. (This means I did not have my camera with me, so no pictures. Sorry.)

The day started at 9:00, where hundreds of volunteers packed into a downtown theater for a training session and pep rally. The highlight was a short, but energizing speech by (former) Senator Russ Feingold, who signed his petition to cheers and chants of "Run, Russ, Run!" (He has said he won't run against Walker in a recall election, but a whole lot of us wish he would.)

I spent the next five hours standing in front of the Capitol building with a clipboard, wearing a bright neon vest, and watching thousands of protestors stream by. Would you believe I only got one signature the whole day? Everyone who walked by had already signed. It was only when I took a walk around the Capitol square to warm up that I found one guy who hadn't signed yet. You might think I felt like my day volunteering as a circulator was a waste of time, but I don't think that at all. I would have gone to the rally anyway, every signature counts, and I'm glad I got that one. Besides, it's better that they had too many volunteers than too few.

So far more than 100,000 signatures have been collected since last Tuesday. 30,000 people were at the rally alone. I think we're off to a good start.

Comments

Claire said…
Can you go door-to-door? I have neighbors who will sign! Thanks for volunteering! (and, yes, I REALLY wish Russ would run, too!)
Pam said…
When I think of you with a clipboard, I can't help but think of going around with you on TAA steward duties. It makes me want to put on a neon vest and get out there to the rally!

Popular Posts