Farewell, Malibu

SongFest concluded with three hours' worth of Bach cantata arias in two concerts on Monday. I played in the first concert, and then I played dead last in the second concert. By that time of night, I was pretty wiped out, but I have to admit it was gratifying to be in the very last group of performers for SongFest 2007. Afterwards I said a few goodbyes and went to bed, forgoing the salsa club outing someone had organized. It probably would have been fun, but I really stink at salsa dancing and we had to get up early to get to the airport.

Was SongFest worth it? Absolutely. It was expensive, so I won't be going back any time soon, but it was definitely worth the money. I learned a lot of new repertoire and met some very fine musicians I hope to stay in contact with. I feel like my words can't adequately describe the experience, maybe because I'm a little jetlagged (Pacific time is two hours earlier than here and I still woke up at 5:30!), or maybe because it's just difficult to describe what makes a musical experience invaluable.

Still, two and a half weeks was long enough. It is good to be home and have our little family all together again. Daniel missed his daddy, I missed Stuart, I missed his lattés, I missed our bathtub (bathing Daniel in a dormitory sink was less than ideal), and I was more than ready to get back to eating good food again. Stubert was traveling for work most of the time we were gone, so the house isn't any cleaner than I left it, but I don't care. (I'm on the cusp of a new trimester anyway, so I ought to have some more energy for things like cooking and housework.)

I plan to spend today going to the farmers' market, doing laundry (which doesn't involve scrounging for quarters - hooray!), making bread, cleaning the house, going through mail, and spending some quality time with my son. In other words, back to life as I usually know it. And just for today, I'm not even going to LOOK at the piano!

Comments

Yay! Suze and Danimal are home! Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a good time!
Animal said…
Welcome home! Glad you found your experience worthwhile and gratifying.

Popular Posts