milk jug skeleton

The kids and I spent a good part of Thursday afternoon making this:



Actually, I did nearly all the work, since it involved cutting up milk jugs with a utility knife, poking holes with an ice pick, and fastening everything together with twisty ties, all things too dangerous or too complicated for small children to do themselves. But the kids, Daniel especially, enjoyed watching the process. Afterwards, I told my mom about it on the phone.

Me: We made a skeleton out of milk jugs to hang on the porch.
Mom: Is it realistic?
Me: Well, it's not entirely anatomically correct. I mean, medical schools won't be knocking on my door any time soon to use this in their classes or anything, but it's close enough that you know what it is.
Mom: Does Daniel even know what a skeleton is?
Me: I'm not sure. I think maybe he knows what bones are.
Mom: Does he know that a skeleton is what you see when someone dies and their flesh decomposes and decays and all that's left is their bones? You're not going to tell him that, right???
Me: Uh, no....I was thinking of just telling him about x-rays. I think that's good enough for now.

Comments

Jessi said…
So, I just asked Brynna what a skeleton was as an experiment, and she said, and I quote, "A skeleton is someone who loses all their skin and all their blood and everything except the bones." I can't decide if this makes me a horrible mother or AWESOME!
Pam said…
Oh my God. That conversation between you and your mom cracked me up! Very funny.

Popular Posts