thursdays

Sometimes Thursdays are the best day of the week for me, and sometimes they're the worst. It all depends on the kids, of course, since Thursday is the one day we are all together, all day, with nothing like preschool or piano lessons to break things up. If Daniel and Anya are well-rested and feeling cooperative, Thursdays are lovely. We have all day to read and play and bake and maybe do an art project with lots of time to clean up before making dinner. Of course, if it's Thursday and the kids are tired and cranky - oof. Those are the Thursdays I crack open a beer around 5:00.

A few times over the past several weeks, we've gone ice skating at one of the city parks, and that was great fun. It turns out Daniel and I are at about the same level of playing hockey, meaning we can both more or less keep balance while holding a hockey stick and there is a vague semblance of aim, but that's about it. Unfortunately, the last couple of Thursdays, the weather hasn't been conducive to skating, either because of too much snow or, like today, because it's just too blasted cold.

I'd like to say that I take advantage of this unscheduled time to do things like visit the Children's Museum or organize special playdates, but alas, I don't. Except for the afore-mentioned ice skating, we don't venture out much unless there are errands to run or we go to the park for sledding. I think I just turn into kind of a hermit this time of year. It's not that I'm depressed, but I just don't have the energy for all that extra schlepping around.

Today it's bitterly cold outside. It was -12 when we got up, and by now I think it's warmed up to 9 (above zero), which is about as warm as it's going to get. I made everyone go outside for about a half hour after lunch so we could play in the snow (Daniel and I are working on digging a snow cave out of the large pile left by the snow plows last week in the front yard), but that was about all we could take before coming inside for lots of hot cocoa, (tea in my case.) The kids are curled up in front of a movie (they're really into Winnie the Pooh these days), and I'm taking this little break before I go to clean up the kitchen for the second time today and mix up some pita bread dough for supper. It's a good Thursday.

Comments

Glad to know this is one of the good ones!
Jessi said…
I love those days.
Pam said…
:-)

Popular Posts