last day of winter

Shortly after we woke up this morning, it started snowing. By mid-morning it was coming down thick and fast, and even though it stopped by early afternoon, and even though it's too warm outside (just) for the snow to stick around, it felt like a fitting last day of the brutal winter we've had. It's as if Winter was trying to squeeze in one last day of Cold, Wet Ick before succumbing to the change of season.

Tomorrow is the vernal equinox, and am I ever ready to see it. I've been making lists of things I want to plant in the garden. I just bought a shiny new sewing machine and I'm itching to make some breezy sleeveless tops to wear.  I just put the kids' muddy snow pants in the washing machine, and I sincerely hope that once they are clean and dry I can put them away until next winter. The kids are desperately ready for spring break to happen, but we've got another 3 and a half weeks to go. I don't even know if we'll travel anywhere, but we are ready for a change in routine and a chance to breathe some fresh air. (I overhead someone discussing his family's upcoming spring break trip to Costa Rica and I tried, without success, not to feel too envious.)

So here's to Spring! She's got to show up eventually.

Comments

Popular Posts