whirrrrr

Do you hear that whirring sound? It's the sound of my propellors. I'm feeling a bit like a helicopter mom. It's not because I want to, but because I can't help it. I worry and worry. Daniel is recovering well from last Friday's procedure, but he's been so tired after school I worry I sent him back too soon. This morning on the walk to school he just looked a little off. I sent Anya on and turned around with him. When we got home I had him lie down. After about 45 minutes he announced he was hungry and needed a snack, so I got him a bowl of yogurt and then took him to school after all.

So often I roll my eyes at parents who are over protective. I don't want to be that way. I don't want to coddle. I don't want to encourage my child to baby himself or have hypochondriac tendencies. And yet sometimes I just get the feeling that something isn't right. Then I err on the side of caution. Sometimes that turns out to be the right choice, and sometimes not.

They say to trust your gut, but my gut isn't always right. Today Daniel appears to be fine after all, if still a little tired. I don't regret bringing him to school an hour late, but he would have made it through if we'd continued at the regular time this morning, too.

Do you ever question your judgement as a parent? I'm constantly second-guessing myself. Am I being overly cautious? Should I sign them up for more activities? Do they have enough chores? Do I help enough at the school? (I think the answer to that one is yes.) Do they eat too much sugar? Are they all right? Am I all right?

Comments

Jessi said…
That is exactly what's going on in my head all the time. Am I watching closely enough? Am I watching too closely? Am I a sucker? Am I totally cruel for sending her to school anyway? It's never ending.
Joanne said…
Glad to know that it's not just a "special needs" thing... (Have we tried the right therapies? If I did ten minutes more per day of process X would she be talking more by now? Should I have pushed for summer services? etc.)

Some parenthood crap is universal. :-)
Unknown said…
I think it's a good tool to teach Daniel - that it's OK to take time to rest & recover before re-entering the busy-ness of life. We need more of that in our world. :)

Popular Posts