Ich habe noch Antworten für Ihnen

I've got some questions to answer, but first, here are links to the interviews that are done so far, if you haven't already found them:
Steph
Jenn
Animal
Jen

Next, I have questions to answer from Animal himself!

1) If money and space were no object, what brand and size of piano would you own?
A 7' Steinway baby grand. I'm no expert on pianos, truly, but I like the old Steinways that have been rebuilt. Some of them run into 6 figures (yikes!), so this question will always be hypothetical. Until I win the lottery, anyway.

2) How do you and Stu go about splitting household chores?

Well, now, that's a good question. Before Daniel came along, when Stu and I were both working/schooling full time, we split things more or less evenly. I've always done more of the cooking because I enjoy it and I'm better at it. Everything else, like cleaning and dishes and vaccuuming, we've did as needed, sometimes together, sometimes not. We never established rules, like "this week it's your turn to scrub the shower" (as if we scrub the shower as often as once a week) and the important stuff gets done. However. Now that Daniel's here and I stay at home basically full-time, much more of the housework falls to me. I am fine with this. Stuart goes to his job 8-9 hours a day where he works hard. I stay home, and I consider my work to be here. I do all of the laundry, nearly all of the cooking (Stu makes dinner the one night per week that I teach because I get home around 7:00), most of the dishes (oh, for a dishwasher!), and most of the cleaning, such as it is. That said, I'm not a great housekeeper. I wish I were more of a neat-freak, but I'm just not. In the continuum between "total slob" and "obsessively clean" I fall somewhere in the middle. In my defense, it's really hard to keep things ship-shape in a 900-square foot house with a Very Inquisitive and Exploratory Danimal about.

Oh, and Stuart cleans the bathroom. It's just habit.

3) What's your favorite thing about parenthood so far?

Oh, you know. All the reasons everyone else gives. It's pretty incredible watching your child grow and discover the world. Everything is new for him: climbing steps, watching water run from the faucet, pouring water on the floor (a new favorite), rolling a ball, clicking his tongue, the feeling of sand running through his fingers...you get the idea. Right now he's still at that age where Stuart and I are his entire world (as Jenn pointed out to me once), and he adores us and loves us and is generally very sweet and cuddly. It's very affirming.

4) If neither age nor longevity were a factor, what other careers would you like to try?

I found out too late that I probably would have been a pretty good scientist. If I had to do it all over again, I might be in a lab instead of where I am now. As for other careers, as long as I didn't have to worry about being wildly successful, I'd like to try: travel writing, arts administration (I still may do this if I get sick of what I'm doing now), something knitting related like designing or editing a magazine or raising sheep and alpacas (but not running a yarn shop; I'm not business-oriented at all, nor do I care to be), designing children's clothes that don't suck, organic farming...but ask me tomorrow and who knows what I might say!

5) What's your favorite way to spend a Friday night?

I AM SO BORING. Right now, my ideal Friday night involves collapsing on the couch in front of a good movie. Before Daniel, a great Friday night might have entailed gathering with friends on the lakefront terrace for beers and staying until after sundown before biking home. Remember those days, Stu? Sigh.

Comments

Pam said…
I answered your questions, too! :-)

Popular Posts