A Big Sigh of Relief

After waiting on pins and needles for the last two weeks to hear from the graduate counselor at the School of Music, it appears that I will be able to take my prelims this semester after all. There were two potential problems. The first: I wasn't sure if the one semester of Italian I had was sufficient for the language proficiency portion of my degree. Collaborative piano is the only program I know of here - besides voice - where one has to demonstrate proficiency in the three major languages of Western classical music: French, German and Italian. Fortunately, my major professor approved that Italian class, so I don't even have to take an extra exam. The second issue was that two recitals I did the first semester in the DMA (Doctor of Musical Arts) never got registered properly. Let me re-phrase that: I apparently didn't register for them, though I turned in the grade forms so there is documentation that I did the programs. This was basically stupid negligence on my part but no one caught the mistake, so I somehow have to get those credits retroactively. This can be done. No doubt it will take a pile of paperwork and at least one hike up Bascom Hill, but it's worth it.

Of course, this means I need to alert my committee and schedule my oral exams and then start studying like there's no tomorrow...but all this means that the end is, if not near, at least in sight.

Comments

canadahauntsme said…
WOO HOO!!!!
Yay! Congrats!!!!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Pam said…
Yay!!! That is SO great, Susan!! I'm so happy to hear that!
Anonymous said…
Good for you!

Oma
Steph said…
Is it just me, or does everyone who gets an advanced degree have a moment of Omigod Bureaucracy terror?

Congratulations on thwarting yours.

BTW, your mama's ass be draggin' post was NOT whiny. Give that kid a kiss from me and tell him to give his mama a break! (That'll work.)
Suze said…
Beaurocracy terror indeed. Nothing, but nothing can make me feel more like a moron than that. I kinda deserved it for this, but still. At least it's fixable!

I think one reason I was having such a hard time this week is that the weather is so utterly shitty I can't get out of the house much. I like to come up with some excuse every day to leave, even if it's just a quick errand like a run to the post office or something. On nice days, I stick Daniel in the backpack and take a walk in the park. But when it's cold and wet you can't take a walk outside and even small erands are a hassle.

Popular Posts