a little sluggish

I was in bed all day yesterday with a mild flu. It was kind of strange, actually, as there was no fever, no cough, no upset stomach, nothing but 24 hours of extreme fatigue. So I slept for the better part of 21 hours, ate naught but a couple pieces of toast, and felt much better by the evening. Stuart had to take a sick day to take care of Daniel because I didn't have the energy to sit upright, much less run after a squealing toddler. I think Daniel had a pretty good time with his daddy. I heard lots of giggling and he didn't even come looking for me until the afternoon when he climbed on the bed and sat on my head. What a great way to wake up from a sick-nap, huh?

I'm about 95% better today, which is good since I'm teaching later and have a rehearsal tonight (re-scheduled from last night) and I'm tired of asking Stuart to stay home when he's not the sick one.

I went to campus this morning to pick up some paperwork. It's important paperwork, including a couple of forms from the graduate school that my committee members will sign on Monday. I know these forms are the real deal because they are printed on high-quality flecked paper and my name is typed on them already. And I know my committee will sign because most of them have at least skimmed my paper and say they like it, though there will certainly be revisions.

This is a conversation I've had a lot lately:
Random person: Are you finished yet?
Me: Yes, in just a few weeks.
RP: So when are you due?
Me: Dec. 30
RP: Wow, you're really close to the finish line.
Me: Uh-huh.
RP: So what's next?
Me: Oh, well, with two little kids to look after, I'm not looking for a job right away. I'll just freelance as I can and maybe in a year or two I'll start applying for teaching positions.
RP: Oh, um. Good luck with that.

In a version of the above conversation I had today, I was told that I'm really "lucky" that I have the choice to stay home or not. I guess that's true, though have you checked out the cost of good daycare lately, especially for babies and children under the age of 2? No job I would qualify for would earn enough to cover daycare, much less actually contribute to the family's income. So this really isn't as much of a "choice" as you might think.

Comments

Steph said…
You must be getting really tired of the "finish line" metaphor.

Go Susan! Go Susan! (I'm imagining the finish line--just not saying it.) ;)
Pam said…
I'm glad you feel better, Susan!
The trick is, when someone says something incredible idiotic to you, smile sweetly as you imaging his/her head off his/her shoulder and drop kicking it to the next county.
Thorny said…
Glad you're feeling better (catching up on blogs, sorry I'm tardy!). And I hear you on the "choice" to stay at home. That's totally how I wound up at home, too. When I did the math, I realized I would /gross/ $1.14 per DAY if I'd kept my old job and put my kids in day care. Once I paid taxes, health insurance, etc. etc. we would have been losing money.

I don't regret it, certainly, but I do tend to bristle at people calling it a "choice" or acting like we must be in such great shape financially that we could "afford" for me to stay home. Me? I usually reserve the word "choice" for occasions when I'm presented with actual /options/.

It wasn't whether we could afford for me to stay home, it was whether we could afford for me to keep my old job, and the truth is we couldn't.

Bah. Sorry to be such a downer. I promise to be more upbeat on my next comment. :)
Liz Allman said…
Thank you! I didn't choose to stay at home. My non-profit salary chose for me. I also hate the imlication that i am staying at home in the lap of luxury. Any stay-at-home parent who agonizes over how to keep the gracery bill down every week knows different.

Popular Posts